Sunday, June 12, 2016

30 for 30

It's 11pm CST. In one hour I leave my 20s never to return and enter a new decade of life! Grateful to God's mercy toward me. 

Here are 30 random thoughts for turning 30:

1. Jesus is a wonderful savior. In His atoning work and in His patience with me. In the fact that His righteousness is imputed to me and that He intercedes for me daily. 

2. When I eat Lucky Charms I pick out extra marshmallows from the box and add it to my bowl. I'm not going to stop that. 

3. I wish I cared as much for the local church 10 years ago as I do now. 

4. Tony Romo is a great quarterback. Don't be a hater. 

5. I don't need to complain so much. 

6. The Bible is precious. Treat it as such. Read it like it holds the key to life and godliness. 

7. It's unfortunate our society delays manhood until age 30 and after. It's a shame for society and for the church. 

8. Taking away guns won't fix people. Neither will political conservatism or liberalism. It's only the gospel. 

9. I need to grow in personal evangelism. 

10. It wasn't my plan at 18 but I'm thankful to be the father of 4 kids at age 30. 

11. I don't have a bigger encourager in my life than my wife. What a gift!

12. I still think there is hope for the Southern Baptist Convention. But these are crucial times that we must not dismiss. We need to actively strive for reformation in our local churches for the glory of God. 

13. I have been blessed with extremely wonderful friends who love Jesus. 

14. Lemon Meringue Pie 

15. I think Bret Bielema is a good coach and that the Razorbacks can make the college football playoff under his tutelage. 

16. Grateful to have grown up traveling with my family all over the United States. I still like to travel. 

17. The church needs a bigger view of God. Refer back to #6. 

18. In 2008 Dr. Don Whitney told our class to read the Bible. Such a simple statement I know. But it has influenced my ministry more than perhaps any other sentence. 

19. I've come a long way. I've got a long way to go. 

20. Faithful Christians who've died long ago have had a profound impact on my life. So have faithful Believers who I've never met who are alive today. Read books. 

21. We all want more time in the day for things. But really we need to prioritize better. 

22. One day, Lord willing, I'm going to finish seminary. 

23. I'm a failed gardener. But maybe I'll try it again one day.

24. I still get motion sickness riding rides. Don't forget the Dramamine. 

25. I would eat fajitas every day if it were possible. 

26. I still don't understand denominational politics. 

27. I am beginning a new pastorate at age 30. It is my prayer that I'm still there at age 60 (and beyond!). 

28. On the 3-0 pitch, I think you need to swing more. I understand percentages say don't. But sometimes you need to swing because big things can happen. 

29. In the Bible Belt, many people give lip service to Believing the Bible but do not submit to its authority and trust its sufficiency. See #6. 

30. "Only one life, twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last."

No comments:

Post a Comment