Monday, October 10, 2016

15 Books on Discipleship


blur, blurred, book

Over the years I've read several books on discipleship. I thought I would just jot down a few that have been the most helpful. They all deal with at least some aspect of discipleship.

And here's a quick disclaimer: I may not necessarily agree with everything in each book. In fact, I know I don't agree with everything in every book listed below (except #15!). But, there is still enough value in each book that I would recommend it to you.

Hope this list is helpful! Also, they are NOT listed in any particular order.

1. The Reformed Pastor by Ricard Baxter (a must read for every pastor!)

2. and 3. Radical Together and Follow Me by David Platt

4. and 5. Apparent Privilege and reThink by Steve Wright (particularly helpful for parenting and the truth that parents are the primary disciple makers of their children)

6. One to One Bible Reading by David Helm

7. Gospel-Centered Discipleship by Jonathan K. Dodson

8. Community by Brad House (I 100% do not agree with the way the person who wrote the foreword handled his church planting situation. And I am not aware that he has since been restored biblically. So, I hesitate adding this one. Also, I don't agree always with the language of 'contextualization.' With that being said, there is still some helpful truth in this work when it comes to small groups).

9. Discipling by Mark Dever

10. Evangelism by J. Mack Stiles

11. Growing up by Robby Gallaty

12. Instruments in the Redeemers Hands by Paul David Tripp

13. and 14 The Trellis and the Vine and The Vine Project by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne (although both were great and helpful, I think you could get the most out of just reading The Vine Project).

15. The Bible - No, I didn't put that just to be cute or because I felt like I had to! But, the Bible is our sufficient means of making disciples. It's not just what we use to make disciples but it also instructs us how! So, don't leave it out of your list of discipleship books!



No comments:

Post a Comment